- This event has passed.
Off Camera Flash & Bokeh – Model Photo-Shoot – Chester Photographic Academy Evening
Thu February 28 @ 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm£35.00
you will learn
- How to use your camera settings and functions
- What is Bokeh
- How to create bokeh and defocus your backgrounds
- How to use off camera flash, create bokeh in an outdoor environment with models
- How to pose and work with models
- How to make your own filters to create bokeh shapes and effects
- How to think creatively
- What Welshot can do for you and your photography
- 6:20pm – Doors to function room open – please wait in the Lounge until we greet you.
- 6:30pm – Session starts
- 8:00pm – Supper – included
- 8:30pm – Session resumes
- 10:00pm – Finish
- Lenses – 50ml 1.8 is ideal – the faster the better. But we can work with any lens
- Spare Batteries and Memory Card
- Tripod – Remote Cable Release
what will happen
Tonight, it is all about Off Camera Flash, Creating Bokeh and Working with Models using the lights of Chester to help create that special background effect to give your images that WOW factor. At this Welshot Chester Photographic Academy Evening based at the Chester Crowne Plaza we will be out and about taking photos of our wonderful Welshot Models using the Off Camera Flash technique – aiming to create the bokeh effect using the available light of Chester.
What is Bokeh? Bokeh comes from the Japanese word boke, which means “blur” or “haze”, or boke-aji, the “blur quality.” Bokeh is pronounced BOH-Kə or BOH-kay. Bokeh is “the effect of a soft out-of-focus background that you get when shooting a subject, using a fast lens, at the widest aperture, such as f/2.8 or wider.” Simply put, bokeh is the pleasing or aesthetic quality of out-of-focus blur in a photograph.
Before going out and about you will have the chance to make your own filters, cut out shapes to go on your lenses that will give you some wonderful creative bokeh backgrounds.
This will be a fun and interactive academy evening that will ensure you leave with not only a new skill and technique having been mastered but also with some great photos for your collection. Please note – While we will always endeavour to make sure you go away with the images you want – creating bokeh depends on many factors, from speed of lens to the available light – You will however be shown all the techniques and skills to take away with you. Please ensure you bring your fastest lens.
Please note that this Chester Academy Evening is a week later than normal due to unforeseen circumstances.
Image Credit: Gill McGowan
what to expect at an academy evening
Academy Evenings are PERFECT for the beginner just starting out on their photographic journey.
Academy Evenings are where you will meet other Welshotters in a relaxed and informal environment – these are the best way to get to know how Welshot works and how we can help you. They are informal, relaxed and are considered a monthly social gathering for many of our Welshotters. They offer “Taster” sessions, covering many genres, to our larger, more extensive Workshops and Events.
With the help of the Welshot Team you will be given all the support, guidance and tuition that you need to help you get the best from your camera – regardless of your skill level so please join us on what promises to be a fun and creative Welshot Academy Evening.
Supper is included in the cost of this event.
Academy Evenings are “The” best way for you to do the following:
- Help you to get to know how your camera works in a variety of settings and conditions. Giving you transferable skills to use anywhere.
- Let’s you practice different sorts of genres, techniques and equipment – before you commit, a chance to see if it is for you.
- Increase your range of portfolio images, make stock images and skill level.
- Networking – Team and Fellow Welshotters are a valuable source of information, know-how, experience and contacts.
- Help you to find out more about Welshot, how we can help you with YOUR photography.
- Help us to get to know YOU better – when we know what it is YOU want and how we can help you with your photography.