- This event has passed.
How to Get Published with Will Cheung FRPS – Editor of Photography News
Saturday 25 January 2020 @ 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
YOU WILL LEARN
- How to submit to a photographic (or other) magazine or client.
- Words – Words and Pictures – Pictures, what magazines want
- How to shoot for publications
- Why entering competitions can help you
- How to work towards an RPS distinction
- How to research your market
- What is a stock library and how to choose the right one for you?
- How to shoot for the Greetings Card market
- How to shoot for the Book Cover market
- How to follow a brief – this will be a practical session
- Setting yourself a project specifically for publication purposes
- What Model / Property releases are required by Photographic Magazines. You will also be supplied with templates that have been legally checked for your future use.
- What Welshot can do for you and your photography
- 10:00am – Welcome and information
- 10:10am – Presentation starts
- 1:30pm – Lunch – included
- 2:45pm – Photography brief challenge
- 3:30pm – Review of images
- 4:30pm – Q&A
- 5:00pm – Finish
- Camera and lenses suitable for this event – You will be going out to follow a brief
- A portfolio of five images (printed or on a memory stick) to have some feedback on
- Questions etc that you would like to discuss with the Welshot Team.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN
Getting your work published is something that many photographers aspire to. Making a photograph in your camera for it to be published in a magazine and seen by the masses is a feeling like no other. Making money from your photography is even better – Photography is a valuable commodity, it takes skill, dedication, hard work, lots of learning and not to mention the financial commitment of your equipment.
At this Welshot Photographic Academy event William Cheung FRPS and Editor of Photography News will be leading taking you through what is sometimes seen to be a bit of a mine field. You will be taken through the steps on how to take and submit images specifically for the photographic magazine market and how to follow a brief by William who has been a journalist in the photographic industry for many years.
Along with William Cheung guiding you through best practices you will also have Team Welshot to help you understand the “Stock Library” – “Greetings Card” and Book Cover” markets.
As an FRPS within the Royal Photographic Society and someone who regularly sits on the panel of judges William Cheung is also going to be explaining to you how, if this is something you wish to do, how to go about it, including best practice for entering competitions.
After lunch you will be sent out to follow a “Live” brief – this will then be shown and discussed to how, what, when, where and why it would be used and how you could improve. This “Brief” may just end up in the next edition of Photography News.
You are welcome to bring a printed portfolio on this day for Will Cheung and Team Welshot to look through and give you a general indication on how to improve and what your possible markets could be.
You are encouraged to ask questions – share your knowledge and have fun while you learn. This will be a mixture of theory and practical sessions with group and individual participation. You will not be forced to do something you don’t want to do but you will find it beneficial if you take part in all the day’s activities.
A few years ago, we ran this session and it proved to be a “Lightbulb” moment for more than a few Members – in particular Academy Member Gill McGowan has had many of her photos (and words) published – in photographic magazines as well as other publications. Here is what Academy Member Gill had to say:
“I found this an inspiring event, giving a real insight into what editors are looking for – and, just as importantly, when – from someone who is an expert in this, and a very approachable guy.
It gave me the confidence to approach him with ideas, some of which were taken up and published as shown above.
Seeing yourself in print is a lovely ego boost!!”
Beginners are always welcome and actively encouraged at Welshot with all help, guidance and support given.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT A WELSHOT FULL DAY EVENT:
Welshot full day events are PERFECT for the beginner, enthusiast or more advanced photographer.
These events are informal, relaxed and are considered a social gathering for many of our Welshotters.
They give you more time for you to focus on your own personal photography, offer a more one to one time is available should you need help.
Covering a range of technical skills as well as giving you the chance (and time) to experiment and be more creative.
With the help of the Welshot Team you will be given all the support, guidance and tuition that you need to help you get the best from your camera – regardless of your skill level so please join us on what promises to be another fun and creative Welshot event.
Our Welshot events are where you will meet other Welshotters in a relaxed and informal environment – these are the best way to get to know how Welshot works and how we can help you.
This event is discounted to £144.00 if you are a Welshot Member – to see a list of Member benefits please view our JOIN US page.
Welshot Full Day events are “The” best way for you to do the following:
- Help you to get to know how your camera works in a variety of settings and conditions. Giving you transferable skills to use anywhere.
- Let’s you practice and experiment different sorts of genres, techniques and equipment within your photography.
- Increase your range of portfolio images, make stock images and skill level.
- Networking – Team and Fellow Welshotters are a valuable source of information, know-how, experience and contacts.
- Help you to find out more about Welshot, how we can help you with YOUR photography.
- Help us to get to know YOU better – when we know what it is YOU want and how we can help you with your photography.